Monday 6 March 2017

Ullswater & Aira Force - September 2016

The weekend prior to this one had seen us wave off Boy1 to antipodean climes, so we were more than a little raw emotionally.  We decided that a weekend in the Lakes would be just the tonic, and so had booked in chez in-laws.  Weather-wise it was simply stunning!

Given that's it's now 6 months on, I can't remember much about the trip itself, so I can't regale you with witticisms (or rants) about the day.  I'll just have to let the photos do the talking.

En route from Ambleside to Glenridding
Approaching Brothers Water en route to Glenridding
We drove from Ambleside to Glenridding and negotiated our way round to the car park. Most of the repairs following Storm Desmond 9 months earlier were getting on for completion.  We decided we didn't mind paying for car parking - in fact we wanted to: the upkeep of the Lakes' beauty is important to us.
View from behind the jetty

told you the weather was beautiful!

New wall to right built since floods 
We walked from the jetty up the western side of the lake, on the recently completed 'Ullswater Way', stopping 10 minutes in to admire the view:



Initially we were near the lake edge





Then the path moves over the road - I was worried I would be disappointed to be moving away from the water, but the scenery soon showed that I needn't have been!




We stopped for refreshments at the tea room, and then made our way up to Aira Force.




Spot the cricket

Spot the creepy alien plant thing




Dat rainbow tho
We then made our way back down to  the Ullswater shore to catch the boat back whence we came.
Boyz in da wood




The boat (sorry "steamer") trip was gorgeous.  I do love seeing the mountains from the water :-)

Looking northeast (towards Pooley Bridge)

Island and standing up on a canoe man


Ok, it's another selfie.  I'm not sorry.

Another island


Arriving in Glenridding we ran into one of Boy2's primary school teachers (much to his embarrassment)  and John took a photo of someone else's car (much to my embarrassment).  It was a sporty BMW, but more importantly it was plugged in and charging. Which admittedly is really cool. But I'm cooler still, and distanced myself from the fanboy extraordinaire for a few minutes.

There you are then, seeing as your curiosity was piqued.

As we drove back to Ambleside, I was able to snap some lovely photos on my phone from a moving car!  Which provided a stunning end to a wonderful day: The Lake District is the most soothing balm to this little healing heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment