Sunday 22 February 2015

Ambling...with added children - February 2015


Well, it happened sooner rather than later: the boys accompanied* John, Usko and I on this walk. (* for accompanied read *wailed/complained about pains/hiccups/hunger/needed the toilet/asked the time literally every five minutes - and when I say literally, that's the proper meaning, not the wrong one bandied all over the media and in teenage speak these days).  You get the picture. I think in future children will be limited to one at a time on such walks, and then they are less likely to be throttled, and my pulse rate will stay at the serene level it should be in the Lake District.

Anyhow.  We did something a little different this time: we saw four lakes, three of which we walked alongside, at varying heights. I had planned to go all the way around Loughrigg Tarn, but with the youngest boy only just recovered from a wailfest entitled "I want my Saaaanndddwwiiiiiiiccchh" I decided we had perhaps best just walk along one side instead.

The walk was about 7 miles (11km) in its entirety, and started and finished in Ambleside, which is where we were staying (with my wonderfully kind and slightly bonkers in-laws).  We did the walk on Saturday 21st February, as the weather forecast was rain on Sunday... as it turned out to properly snow on Sunday (...honest, it settled and everything), I was glad we'd chosen to do the walk the day before. We had lovely crisp sunshine, and only a few tiny drops of sleet when we arrived at Costa for our drinks and cake (which, yes, had been used as a bribe most of the way around Loughrigg).

A couple of positives stick in the mind: a Hercules (of the aeroplane variety) flew about 150 feet overhead, momentarily breaking the peaceful babbling of the water over the stepping stones. It had a very low rumbling sound, and I must admit to being a bit excited when it came into view, although coupled with panic at the thought it was so low to the ground, it must be about to crash into the mountainside. (I blame Lost.)

The other positive was John, my wonderful man, who sequentially removed boys from my company when he could see I was ready to blow a gasket.  They all produced some wonderful behaviour and brilliant moments (at different times through the day!), and I put this down to the time and energy John invested in them, much of which I believe was talking about 'favourite Lord of the Rings/Hobbit' quotes, with which I wouldn't have been able to join in anyway... unless you include 'The End', which I think may have been frowned upon.

So, I'll talk you through the walk with pictures... those of you who were so complimentary about the photos last time need to be warned that this time I have worked some magic on the computer, and removed Usko's lead: there's no way we could let go of him when there were all those sheep around, bless him.

Our route: walk number 9 from my recently acquired book
Crossing the River Rothay (one time Usko *didn't* jump up to peep over the wall)
We were soon greeted with jaw-dropping scenery
Snow-capped mountains were all the rage this walk
And sheep were everywhere... to Usko's delight and torture


The afore-mentioned Stepping Stones.

Our first lake sighting: Rydal Water

First pit-stop of the day


Saw a tree stump, felt duty bound to get my dog to sit atop it
The Lakes are brilliant for not needing to take any water for your dog to drink!
Rydal has caves... a big hit







Pit stop number 2

Sunshine on the snow making the mountains glow

The last glimpses of Rydal water
Moving a bit further along the river we met Grasmere




And on to Loughrigg Tarn


Pit Stop number 3, or possibly 4, where we ate lunch





Did I mention sheep? Fortunately these were behind a wall, and Usko was oblivious

Pit Stop number 573

And our fourth lake viewing, this time of Windermere



(No children were actually harmed during the walk.  Though a couple of them may claim otherwise)

No comments:

Post a Comment